Goaltender Andrew Oke was drafted by the Spirit in the fifth round, 89th overall of the 2020 OHL Under-17 Priority Selection. Oke signed an OHL Standard Player Agreement and Education Package with the Spirit on May 17, 2020. The Sterling Heights, Michigan native is coming off of stellar 2019-20 season with Honeybaked Under-15, leading them to an HPHL Championship. The 6’1, 172-pound netminder played in 38 regular season games, featuring a 1.82 goals against average and a .910 save percentage. Below are 21 questions with Andrew for Spirit fans to get to know a little more about him.
This feature will continue throughout the off-season to highlight some of the newly signed or acquired Spirit players.
Name: Andrew Oke
1) Do you have a Nickname(s)? People always call me by my last name Oke.
2) Where were you born? I was born in Michigan.
3) Do you have any siblings (brother/sister, age)? I have one older brother and he is 18 years old.
4) Do you have any pets (kind/name)? I have two dogs. One is named Apollo and the other one is named Rocky
5) What’s your most memorable hockey moment? Winning Silver Sticks this past year with my team and getting drafted for sure.
6) Who is your favorite NHL Player and why? Carey Price is my favorite because I model my game after his.
7) Why did you choose the Number you did? When I was younger, I got a street hockey set of pads and on the front of the box was Marc-Andre Fleury. His number was #29 so It always stuck with me and I really enjoyed the number.
8) Who’s your favorite NHL Team? I like the Pittsburgh Penguins.
9) What’s your favorite sport other than hockey? Golf
10) What are some of your hobbies? Playing golf a lot, hanging out with friends, and playing poker.
11) What’s your favorite TV/Netflix Show? I like the show Outer Banks.
12) What’s your favorite movie? Favorite movie is The Sandlot.
13) Who’s your favorite Band/Artist? Lil Uzi Vert is my favorite artist.
14) What’s your favorite Restaurant? Da Francesco’s Italian restaurant
15) What’s your go to pre-game meal? BioSteel and a protein bar.
16) Do you speak any other languages? No
17) What’s your biggest fear? Spiders
18) Who has been the most influential person in your life? My mom always gives me tips on how to be better and always supports me in the hardest times.
19) If you could hang out with one celebrity (dead or alive) who would it be? I would hangout with Kevin Hart
20) If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I would travel to Hawaii just because we have some friends down there and I hear its an awesome place.
21) If you were stuck on a deserted island, what three (3) things would you bring with you?
I would bring a Firestarter, a machete, and an inflatable raft.