Five Saginaw Spirit players hope to hear their name called at the 2021 NHL Draft being held virtually with the first round scheduled for Friday, July 23 at 8:00 p.m. on ESPN 2 (U.S) and Sportsnet (CAN). Rounds 2-7 will be held on Saturday, July 24 beginning at 11:00 a.m. on NHL Network (U.S.) and Sportsnet (CAN).
NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings:
- The Spirit have two players featured on the final edition of the NHL Central Scouting Rankings for the 2021 NHL Draft. Goaltender Tristan Lennox is ranked third among North American Goaltenders, and forward Josh Bloom is ranked 113th among North American Skaters.
- Full Rankings
Spirit Draft Eligible:
- In addition to Lennox and Bloom, Davis ‘T-Bone’ Codd, Roberto Mancini, and Mitchell Smith (second-year eligible) hope to hear their names called on Day two of the Draft.
- Davis Codd: 5-9-14pts, 53GP, +1, 10 PIM, 2 game-winning goals, 37% FO, finished the 2019-20 season with at least one point in four of his last five games (0G-5A-5PTS) 2021 Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 1 boys state golf champion. (Brighton HS – Brighton, MI)
- Roberto Mancini: 1-5-6pts, 38GP, -2, 16 PIM,
- Mitchell Smith: 7-9-16pts, 56GP, +1, 2 game-winning goals, played high school baseball in 2021 for Heritage HS – Saginaw, MI
- Stats from 2019-20 OHL season*
Spirit History at NHL Draft:
- Since the 2003 NHL Draft, the Spirit have had a total of 58 players selected by NHL teams. The Spirit’s highest selection came at the 2020 NHL Draft, when the Winnipeg Jets selected Cole Perfetti in the first round, 10th overall.
- Six Spirit players have been selected by the Atlanta Thrashers / Winnipeg Jets franchise, the most of any NHL team. (Eddie Pasquale ‘09, Ben Chiarot ‘09, Cody Sol ‘09, Ivan Telegin ‘10, Jimmy Lodge ‘13, and Cole Perfetti ‘20)
- The Spirit have had at least one player selected in each of the last 13 NHL Drafts. That is the fourth longest streak in the entire 60-team Canadian Hockey League.
- Full Spirit NHL Draft History